Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Animations of a Bouncing Caterpillar by Ulick Malone

In a previous post, I described how I photographed a caterpillar hanging in mid-air from a branch of a tree via a silk thread spun by the caterpillar. This was far from a static scene, and as I took my photographs using an iPhone, the caterpillar was bouncing around quite a bit due to the wind.

I back up my iPhone photos to Google Photos, and as a side effect of backing up my caterpillar photos, Google Photos automatically produced two animations that show the bouncing motion of the caterpillar. These animations are worth a look and show the challenging conditions I was confronted with in trying to photograph this bouncing caterpillar:

Caterpillar Animation 1

Caterpillar Animation 2

Ulick Malone

2 comments:

  1. Nice animation! I would have never known it was a caterpillar without your notes.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina: The caterpillar in my photos looks less like a caterpillar because his "underneath parts" were facing the iPhone camera when I took the photos. This little guy looked much more like a caterpillar when viewed from the other side--the top side that you would normally see him from if you were looking down on him as he crawled along the ground. - Ulick Malone

    ReplyDelete